Of all the books in the Bible, 1 Peter has spoken to my heart the most as I walk through challenging times. Peter, the first disciple called by Jesus is the author. Peter was a fisherman from Bethsaida, near of Galilee. Perhaps he was in partnership with James and John. He had a home in Capernaum, which is on the northern shore of the Sea of Galilee. His strong north-country accent gave him away as a Galilean (Mark 14:70).
Of all the disciples I relate most to impetuous Peter. . .speaking and acting before thinking.
- He declared his allegiance to Jesus without counting the costs.
- Typical of Peter’s dominant personality was his readiness to walk to Jesus on the water.
- It was Peter who asked Jesus the awkward question of how often he should forgive a sinning brother.
- At the transfiguration, he was one of the three disciples (along with James and John) who accompanied Jesus. Instead of worshipping Jesus when Peter sees His glory, Peter asks if he should construct shelters for Moses, Elijah, and Jesus.
- To Peter’s credit, he was the first disciple to recognize Jesus as the Messiah.
- Peter quickly declared just before Jesus arrest: “I will lay down my life for you”. . .only to deny Christ 3 times as Jesus predicted.
- Then he fell asleep at Gethsemane as Jesus prayed just prior to His arrest and crucifixion.
Do you feel defeated today? Are you weary of the struggles? Do you think that God could never use you? God used Peter, an ordinary sinful man. That gives me hope. . .hope that He can use an ordinary sinful woman like me. . .ordinary sinful people like you. . .ordinary sinful people who love Jesus just as Peter loved Him. God used Peter in a powerful way. . .just as He wants to use you!