As our praise focuses on God’s works and character, we see ourselves in stark contrast, filled with human failures. Praise and confession become intertwined. The more we praise God for how great He is and see our own sin, we are led into confession of our sins, which in turn leads us back to praising and thanking God for His mercy and grace and forgiveness.
What sins do you need to confess to God? How about some of these based on Bible passages. . .
- Ephesians 5:16 making the most of every opportunity (NIV) How am I wasting my time? How am I robbing God by withholding my time, money or talent? How am I spending my time? When do I make time to spend with God?
- 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.(NIV) How am I being careless with my body? Do I overeat? Do I exercise? Am I remaining pure sexually?
- Ephesians 3:20 Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, (NIV) Do I sell myself short? Do I believe that God can use me for His work? Do I doubt the power of God in my life? Do I fail to attempt things because I doubt God’s power?
- Matthew 6:24 “No one can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money. 1 Timothy 6:10 For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. (NIV) Do I always want more money? Am I ever satisfied with where I am financially? What would I sacrifice for more money? How would I view my life if all my money was gone today?
- Psalm 127:2 In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat– for he grants sleep to those he loves. (NIV) Am I working too many hours? How often have I seen my kids this week? When have I spent quality time with each child? Do my thoughts focus more on work or my family?
- Luke 12:15 “Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed; a man’s life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.” (NIV) Do I desire what someone else has? a home? a boat? a wardrobe? a Christian husband or wife? an estate?
- 2 Peter 1:5-7 For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. (NIV) How am I increasing my knowledge of God? When do I lose self-control? Do I get agitated easily?Am I persevering or getting by with the curve balls in life? How is my behavior ungodly? What would I not do if Jesus was physically with me? When have I not shown kindness and love to others?
- James 4:4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. (NIV) What worldly pursuit is there in my life? Are my pursuits more heavenly or temporal? How am I being conformed to the world’s image? Does the world see that I am different? more like Christ?
- Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.(NIV) Are most of my statements mostly about “me”? Am I self-conscious rather than Christ conscious? Are my feelings easily hurt?
- 1 Thessalonians 5:18 give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. (NIV) How do I fail to give thanks to God? Do I thank Him for the bad as well as the good? Do I thank God for daily provisions?
If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. (1 John 1:9)