AW Tozer writes: “Worship is the effort to close the gap between the heart and the God it adores.” God wants us to worship Him, to acknowledge who He is. Worship shows our devotion to God. It’s an act of giving ourselves to God. When you spend time with God, try beginning your time by coming to Him in worship. . .praising Him for who He is!
HOW DO YOU WORSHIP GOD? Here are a few ways to praise God:
- PRAISE GOD IN SONG. . .if you’re not a singing sort, try reading some hymns
- PRAISE GOD FOR HIS CHARACTER TRAITS. . . for His lovingkindness, His grace, His power, His mercy, etc.
- PRAISE GOD THROUGH HIS NAMES. . . try going through the alphabet. . . A: Abba, B: Bread of Life, C: Creator, etc.
- PRAISE GOD BY PRAYING BACK PRAYERS IN THE BIBLE – 1 Chronicles 16:7-10; 1 Chronicles 29:10-13; Daniel 2:19-23; Luke 1:57-69, etc.
- PRAISE GOD BY PRAYING PSALMS BACK TO GOD. . . Psalm 62, 89, 93, etc.
Praise centers our attention on God. As we focus on God’s glory, we reflect on God’s greatness and receive it into our lives. We become more like God, when we focus our attention solely on Him (2 Corinthians 3:18).
What are you reflecting to others? What would others say you’re reflecting to the world? Does your face reflect God’s glory? Why not focus your praise on Him and allow Him to transform you into His likeness with ever-increasing glory?
Written by Marji “Mike” Kruger