John proclaims what he had seen and heard about Christ. He begins with contrasting God’s light versus the world’s darkness. God’s perfection is seen in the phrase “in him there is no darkenss at all.” John wrote extensively about light and darkness in his gospel. . .
- In him was life, and that life was the light of men. The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood it. The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world. John 1:4, 9
- This is the verdict: light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.” John 3:19-21
- When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12
- While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” John 9:5
- Then Jesus told them, “You are going to have the light just a little while longer. Walk while you have the light, before darkness overtakes you. The man who walks in the dark does not know where he is going. Put your trust in the light while you have it, so that you may become sons of light.” When he had finished speaking, Jesus left and hid himself from them. John 12:35-36
- I have come into the world as a light, so that no one who believes in me should stay in darkness. John 12:46
Jesus is the Light of the world. All who believe in Him live in the light. Where are you living? in the light? or in the darkness? If you’re in the light, you have life. . . eternal life. If you’re in the darkness, by believing in Jesus Christ, you too, can experience light and life.